Wednesday, February 10, 2021

soirees

Normally, the last quarter of my calendar, is filled of soirees and parties. Endless nights of meeting and talking to people whilst enjoying a flow of hors d'oeuvres (very important). I do missed it terribly. Yet, I still sewed myself a cocktail dress. I never want to miss an opportunity to work with more challenging or delicate fabrics and use a more complicated couture techniques.    

darlene

This fabric has been sitting in my stash - one of many finds in remnant pile from a fabric store. It's silk, with border print details. I used cotton batiste as interlining as I do not have the luxury to use silk organza; worked just as fine. 

darlene

 The neckline and shoulder strap was the challenging part. Since using a fusible lining is not an option but, I did remember reading an article about using horsehair braid to add shape and structure to the neckline. So I went to ebay, get a couple of meters and waited patiently. 

darlene

darlene
 

I attached the horsehair braid to the neckline by hand but the shoulder straps were floppy. I followed this little hack to fix it and viola! No more floppy shoulders!

darlene

 (left: no rigilene boning; right: with rigilene boning)

Attached the lining by hand, and its done. Now, where to go? 

darlene

 

 Till my next post!

 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment